“One of the best screen performances of the year.”
- Karen Durbin, The New York Times
"Deeply affecting ... unflinchingly real."
- Betsy Sharkey, The Los Angeles Times
“An extraordinary performance by Paprika Steen.”
- Roger Ebert,The Chicago Sun-Times
"[Steen] brings a thrilling emotional nakedness and...unsentimental honesty to the part."
- Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly
“A fearless, tour-de-force performance by star Paprika Steen...extracts the essence of Cassavetes' A Woman Under the Influence.”
- Alissa Simon, Variety
"Taut and daring"
- Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com, 'Pick of the Week'
One of reviewer Neil Curry's four films to watch
“Quite notable, particularly for its intense, stripped-down lead performance by Paprika Steen.”
- Peter Knegt, indiewire.com
“A terrific performance by Danish film star Paprika Steen.”
- Dan Fainaru, Screen Daily
“Though utterly convincing as a renowned theater actress, it's clear from her work in Applause that Paprika Steen has a face for the camera [and] considerable on-screen magnetism...[A] journey [of] melancholy self-realization.”
- Matthew Connolly, Slant magazine
"Paprika Steen is absolutely harrowing and brilliant."
- Chris Kriofske, Chlotrudis Society for Independent Film